Thursday, October 22, 2009

Final Statement ii

My book title was called "Life Lines". When I was posed to pick a title, I thought about all of my juxtapositions working in unison to create some sort of community. I thought how the city of Kansas City moves and then I started thinking about how the humans that make up the city move as well. How there is a juxtaposition and conversation with the structures and environment we live around and the people that live in them.



From this connection, I have learned to activate and arrange a graphic space. Being able to incorporate line studies and my surroundings really hit home with this point. There is rhythm, texture, tone, and figure/ground relationships everywhere. Being able to connect them with lines and create a juxtaposition is an accomplishing feeling, as well as a great learning process. To start to develop these ideas in the city you live in, with the city you live in is really a magical idea. Being able to do so also made the surrounds that I live in more apparent.

I noticed that using organic vs. manmade photos for the juxtapositions would alter what kind of line study what was used. Most of the manmade structures ended up being pared with line studies that were from the first phase, which were very basic. Or they were they line studies that were manipulated with the projector. The organic lines studies were paired with the more "organic" photographs. Such as line studies from the scanner and photocopier. This was nice to be able to make the connection that skewing media in different ways makes for different outcomes.







Over all this assignment helped me make connections I didn't noticed, or even think about noticing before. Being able to follow the process mentioned in my post below, helped the learning process of the objectives easier to understand. It was a good combination of hand work (tracing images, cutting, gluing, etc.) and digital work (vectoring images, creating line studies, cropping images, editing photographs, etc.). It is very important to have great craft and understand how important each, analog and digital, is and how they come together to create a juxtaposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment